When was the last time you did something for the first time?
It’s a great big beautiful world with so much to experience. Interestingly, the more I explore the more I realize how much more is out there. So much to learn, so little time.
The benefits of doing something for the first time include:
1. Making new discoveries and learning new things.
2. Maintaining our curiosity about the world.
3. Exercising our willingness to take risks.
4. Preventing ourselves from falling into a rut.
Trying something for the first time doesn’t have to be a life-altering endeavor (although those are good too); it can be as simple as picking up a different color or style of t-shirt.
Trying something for the first time can also be an internal exercise. For example:
1. Reading a different genre of book or playing a different genre of music.
2. Taking a course in something outside our realm of expertise.
3. Talking with people from different backgrounds and generations.
4. Considering our beliefs from a different perspective.
We never know where our next love in life will present itself. Maybe you didn’t know you look awesome in vintage rock t-shirts. Maybe you didn’t know you make the best birdbaths in your state. Maybe you didn’t know you’re an inspired teacher. Maybe you didn’t know you want to organize a fundraiser to benefit Alzheimer’s research.
We never know how much more we can become until we try new things. So, when was the last time you did something for the first time?
NOTE: When was the last time you did something for the first time? I’m unclear as to the original source of this quote, if any. Please advise me if you know of an original source to be attributed. Thank you.
For music lovers, the phrase, “When was the last time you did something for the first time?” appears in Drake’s song, Own It. Written by: Rasool Diaz; Noel Fisher; Aubrey Drake Graham; Anthony George Palman; Andre Proctor; Noah Shebib; Brian Soko. Original release: Nothing Was The Same, 2013.