Why would you do such a thing?
As someone who used to linger in the comfort of bed as long as possible, I can appreciate all the dissenting voices.
I started getting up earlier than necessary to meditate, and it evolved into my own variation that is worth the time stolen from the sheets (and duvet, and extra pillows).
What could be worth such deprivation?
I call it: Starting Your Day With Warmth. It’s guaranteed to make your day better.
Yes. It will be effective regardless of your schedule, whether you sleep at night, during the day, or somewhere in between.
What is this magical warmth?
It’s starting your day with sensory warmth. Engaging as many senses as possible, for example:
- Touch: cup of hot water, tea, coffee
- Taste: breakfast at a warm temperature, such as hot cereal, or anything cooked or heated
- Smell: scents such chamomile, bergamot, cedar, lavender, vanilla
- Sight: lighting a candle
- Auditory: listening to nature, including recordings, or music, preferably instrumental
- Psychological: thinking warm thoughts, preferably encompassing, such as nature
Bathing your senses in warmth will shift your mindset accordingly. The body affects the mind, and the mind affects the body.
Try experimenting with a couple of these items or come up with some of your own. Find what works for you.
No matter what your day brings, you’ll be more peaceful, flexible and resilient. Maybe only for a short time at first, but you will see a difference.
Is it still worth sacrificing sleep?
My mornings still start with warmth and it’s easy to get up earlier than necessary because I know the difference it will make. Yes, even with the bed beckoning, where are you going baby? Come back, just a few more minutes….
Okay, maybe not always easy, but always worth it.